Emotional Healing. Child of an alcoholic. Young adult depression. Inspiration.

I was once told by a wise woman that emotions are a strong force to be reckoned with. They breathe their own life and have their own destructive force. If one does not allow their emotions both happy and sad to escape and feel acknowledged, they will eat away at the life they live in. My journey in life has been a road filled with many peaks of happiness and many valleys of depression. But through it all I have held those words of wisdom with me. I have always found it easy to release my anguish, my depression, my sadness, and my happiness to those around me who love me and to my best friends “pad and paper.”



With this blog I hope to inspire others to write their emotions on paper, let the forgiving page hear all the words of hurt, pain, contentment, joy. With this blog I hope to inspire myself to forgive all that hurts in my life, to let go of old grudges and to grow, from the inside out.



Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Good Grief

Good Grief, does that not seem like a picture perfect definition for an oxymoron? Upon first hearing such a phrase I immediately think, how can grief be good? Grieving is sorrow, heartache, and anguish. Good is superior, excellent, outstanding even. To force these two words together seems a stretch of the imagination. I don’t remember feeling outstanding when my heart was broken for the first time, and my grieving tears fell upon the broke pieces. I can’t recall feeling great when I was overcome by sadness when my grandmother passed away.  
However upon sitting at my computer and really thinking about the phrase so commonly used in ‘The Peanuts’ comic strip I began to realize that this saying is actually in no way an oxymoron. It makes perfect sense.   Grieving is a personal process. A journey in which we allow ourselves to feel our emotions, a moment in time that we give ourselves to sit in our rooms with Ben and Jerry in tow and let our feelings flow over us like a blanket, and then melt away like our uneaten ice cream.
Through grieving we release our pain, and those emotions that we didn’t even know we had. If you’ve been lucky enough to love, you too will experience this voyage. However you have the power to realize that it doesn’t have to be this depressing experience, you can allow yourself to have a pity party and feel sad, because in essence that is what grieving is, but grow from it. Don’t let the seed of sadness create cheerless flowers; instead allow them to blossom into a beautiful bouquet.

And remember if you are going to have a pity party, bring your chips and dip.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you are just in the mood for a pity party. The tricky part is its generally a party for one and should be short lived other wise you turn into a whiner bringing those around you down. H.k.

    ReplyDelete