Emotional Healing. Child of an alcoholic. Young adult depression. Inspiration.

I was once told by a wise woman that emotions are a strong force to be reckoned with. They breathe their own life and have their own destructive force. If one does not allow their emotions both happy and sad to escape and feel acknowledged, they will eat away at the life they live in. My journey in life has been a road filled with many peaks of happiness and many valleys of depression. But through it all I have held those words of wisdom with me. I have always found it easy to release my anguish, my depression, my sadness, and my happiness to those around me who love me and to my best friends “pad and paper.”



With this blog I hope to inspire others to write their emotions on paper, let the forgiving page hear all the words of hurt, pain, contentment, joy. With this blog I hope to inspire myself to forgive all that hurts in my life, to let go of old grudges and to grow, from the inside out.



Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Forever Fine, Finally Fabulous

“How are you doing?” This is a simple question asked millions of times every day by thousands of people all over the world; and chances are, the majority of the answers are simply stated as, “Fine.” As for myself, it is almost the only answer I know how to give. If you look up fine in the dictionary the most basic definition is given as, very well. But unfortunately I have to think that every time someone says that they are simply doing fine, they surely don’t mean that they are doing very well.
            Why is it that we can’t say how we are truly feeling? Why after a bad day at work when asked how I am doing, I can’t say that I’m not doing well. That I’m frustrated with work, that I’m anything but fine. Instead I bury my feelings, my frustrations, and my irritations. Letting them fester inside me like a bad “ju ju” soup.
            From now on, I say we all start a movement. A movement to be truthful with ourselves and to those we encounter. At least once a day to whomever is asking, tell them, how you truly feel. What you truly are. If the girl at the checkout counter asks how you’re doing today, and it’s been a sub-par day, then tell her. Maybe put a positive spin on it, so she doesn’t think you’re a little crazy. Instead of saying, “My day sucks”. Say that “It’s been a rough day, but the weather is nice outside, and that I’m sure it’ll turn around.” Hopefully by allowing those small feelings to escape and by adding positivity to them, we can stop walking around with our bad “ju ju” in us. And hopefully one day when we are asked how we are doing and we say fine, we can actually mean it.              
Please feel free to share your moments of a day of being just “fine”, or if you happen to try to let someone, anyone know how you’ve really been feeling lately, feel free to share that experience as well.

3 comments:

  1. This subject has been a running joke between me and one of my sisters who's middle name should be Denial. If she would answer Fine I would ask, " fine" in a calm voice or "FiNe" in a quivering almost hysterical voice. Through my humor I could at times get a real answer out of her not just the one she thought I wanted to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmFtQxWPyy8&feature=player_profilepage

    Saw this and it made me think of this post. I hope everyone can find the person they feel that they can talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My answer to "How are you doing?" is always "perfect." It started many years ago with a client of mine. He asked me how I was doing and an I ranted through this answer. Then he said a "just perfect" would have been fine.. We both laughed It was a good moment...

    I wish you Many good moments sweet girl and a "Perfect Day."
    Much Love
    Aunt B

    ReplyDelete